Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Highway 6

Many people travel Highway 6, and there are many stories, memories, and losses upon that road. I began traveling Highway 6 in 1983 when Joe began working at Hunter Power Plant in Emery County. Over the years I have seen deer, elk, moose, eagles, hawks, and a couple of years ago I spotted several wild turkeys.

One year, when the children were little we happened upon the infamous beer truck spill. A delivery truck had taken a corner too fast and rolled over and the contents of the truck, Milwaukee's Best, floated freely down the river for the catching. Most travelers pulled over to fish out a couple of cold ones.

I have seen terrible snow storms, beautiful autumn leaves, and fresh greenery in spring along that road. I have traveled many hours in many different vehicles on that road. Highway 6 was where I even got my first speeding ticket, after 28 years of driving.

All that being said, I have also had some harrowing experiences upon Highway 6, including the incident Monday evening around 6:45 pm. After the rest area there is a narrow portion of the road where the bridge over the railroad track is being replaced. Immediately north of the construction zone, I spotted a black bear running alongside the road. Scared the bajeebees out of me. He attempted to dart out in front of me, I swerved, missed him and he crossed the road behind me. I pulled onto the shoulder shaking like a leaf, then made sure the doors were locked. Who knows he could have wanted to eat me!!!

Now, I have one more memory to add to my travels on Highway 6. Drive safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment