Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thoughts from the Widow's Lott--Is it Rude to Feed Leftovers to the Neighbor’s Teens?

Many questions have puzzled me since I became a widow. Now that I am sleeping alone, do I buy a twin bed or do I still purchase a king or queen? If I still purchase a queen or king bed, do I sleep on each side of the bed before I wash the sheets, or just wash them as b.w.--before widowhood? (Update: I did buy a queen sized bed and if you sleep on it sideways you do not end up with a dilema!)

After raising three children and a husband on one income I am very self conscious about pinching pennies. So, when I had half a pizza left and could not stand another piece for another meal, I offered the leftovers to the neighbor’s kids. I did not even think about the size of pizza when I ordered it a week ago, after all, the large combo is the best deal. However, now I have learned that if you have to throw away, give away, hide, or decorate the other half before you can use it, it is not such a good deal. (Update: Even the neighbor's teens get tired of your leftovers, however, you can freeze the pizza for later!)

The phone is another situation for the recently widowed that can cause confusion and indecisiveness. If you don’t get up and answer it, grown children and neighbors will worry. If you do answer the obnoxious rings then you’ll inevitably have to speak to someone. On the other hand, if the call is for your husband, how do you politely tell the caller:

  • he’s no longer here, if it’s a salesperson
  • mail that check made out to him anyway
  • no, he’ll not be needing life insurance unless they can back date the policy
  • yes his new address is the city cemetery
And face it, you are a widow and regardless of reason, you don’t always have to answer the phone; no one else is around to pick it up so why should you? (Update: That includes the front door. You don't always have to answer when the doorbell rings, however if you don't answer it make sure it is locked, some of your friends don't care if your not dressed and will walk in anyway! It is easy to forgive the friends bearing lasagna who just barge in!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Nanet! I love your sheet dilemma...so funny! We sure miss you!

    Mathew is cute, but I don't know if "he looks just like his mommy." I don't know what she looks like! :)

    ReplyDelete