Friday, March 20, 2009

Missing

Today's Writing Prompt: Missing
What is missing in your life? Are you trying to find it?

My glue gun. I have not seen it since I moved. At first I thought," just keep unpacking, it will show up." Then, I needed it. So I looked again and I tore through boxes and found other things, but not the glue gun.

The glue gun was in one of the last boxes I packed. The glue gun container, with it's white lid, was gently placed on top of the container containing the staple guns. Then the box was sealed, labeled and stacked. That was the last time I saw the glue gun, it was July 2008.

I resisted the urge to buy another glue gun until Christmas. The craftiness in me screamed, "I NEED A GLUE GUN." So, I broke down and bought a cheap little one that would get me by until I found the box containing my several glue guns and year supply of long glue sticks.

As I used the cheap little glue gun, I missed my upscale one that was cordless, heated up very hot, and had its own stand. I fiddled with the cheap little "low temp" glue gun that worked about as well as the $5 I paid for it.

Like a stack of ironing waiting to be done, or a basket of mending, I have a stack of hot gluing that needs attention. Things have fallen apart through the move and need a little attention, and as the months have marched on, the stack has grown higher.

Still, no glue gun. I fondly remember my first glue gun. It was Christmas, Athena's first so it would have been about 1985. I told Joe that I had heard of a new crafting tool that was all of the rage. Christmas morning when I unwrapped it, I said to him, what is this, I had never even seen a glue gun before. But that Christmas morning, a crafter's love affair began.

Sure, there has been a couple that have replaced the first one, but nothing can replace the handiness of the tool itself.

So, wish me luck, I'm still looking.

2 comments:

  1. Really? I will buy you a new one for your birthday this year.
    Thanks for the one you bought me a few years back. I want you to know I've used it about 5 times. But I did use it to make my wedding centerpieces, so it was very well worth it! Will you buy me a nice one for my birthday this year? I'm kidding! Please, I really do not want one. I'll just bring my stack of hot glue projects (and maybe my stack of ironing LOL;)over to your house.

    What a great excuse to come and see you. Like I need an excuse! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! My glue gun was only $5.00, but I got it for 95% off when a craft store was going out of business. I haven't used it in a very long time. I know... blasphemy!

    ReplyDelete