Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It’s all an attitude of gratitude

I am thankful for my family, blessings, friends, and my testimony.

As I have listened and read others “thankful” lists, I get crazy-twisted when I read or hear, “I am thankful for trials.” 

Really?

Seriously?

Then there are those who profess, “I pray for trials so I may grow.”

Really?

Seriously?

My last seven-year-trial has been the death of Joe and I AM NOT grateful for this trial. 

I am not grateful that:
I crawl into an empty bed every night
Wake up alone every morning
When my grandchildren visit grandpa, they go to the cemetery
None, not one single grandchild will ever go fishing with Joe
Everyday I cry because I miss him so much
I have to go to the temple alone—and, he’s not waiting in the celestial room
I go to church alone
I celebrate my anniversary alone
I have had to learn how to fix a sprinkler system
I know how to move heavy things
I know how to use all the power tools I own
I can back up the RV into a parking spot
I have to keep his memory alive or  people will forget him
I have to deal with family, financial and world problems alone

So, choose your words wisely, ARE you really grateful for your trials, or you just haven’t got the big one yet?

(PS:  even if I choose to look at the "glass half full" it 's still the same--half empty!)

1 comment:

  1. Ditto, Janet. I agree with this completely. There's a difference with knowing we grow from them & being thankful for them! I have grown from mine, but I would have chosen a different way to learn those lessons! Yuck. & I can't imagine your major trial. I have to say it is one of my biggest fears. Thanks for writing & sharing. I sure love you!

    ReplyDelete