Thursday, March 1, 2012

Narcissism

The last couple of weeks I have had encounters with dishonest people.  This just really irritates me because it has cost me money and time.  Both people were avoiding consequences.    Aren't we all grown-ups.  Isn't honesty a basic "adult" concept and "consequences" are part of being adult?  Well for some people, I guess not.

This seems to be a re-occurring lesson in my life since Joe's death, and I am increasingly impatient and intolerant as these encounters continue to compound each other.   

As all of these combined incidents have soured my thoughts lately, I had an epiphany on Saturday.  For our morning devotional at the mission, we sang Choose the Right.  The song includes the words:

Choose the right,
There's safety for your soul.
(Hymn 239)

As I sang those words, I realized these people have not understood the basic concept that dishonesty is threatening their "souls".

Wow.

I am so narcissistic that I am concerned about how I am feeling about these peoples actions and how they are affecting my life, when in reality, there is a much greater and more severe issue at hand--the safety of their souls.

Suddenly, my "feelings" and "fairness" to me, pales in comparison, to people and their souls.

I am grateful for this lesson learned and guaranteed I will have more compassion and tolerance in similar future situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment