Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blue Day

In case you have been under a rock or it's 100 years into the future, today is the day they bury those two little Powell boys.  To read the story go here.   I won't go into the story, that is not what this blog is about.  The Powell situation is a million times worse than what I ever went through, however, this blogger can relate to losing a loved one to a violent crime and the court and legal system.  

I have been struggling with several things. The legal system is never fair or logical. It never really amounts to "innocent" or "guilt" but rather laws that no one can enforce until a crime has been committed.  How do we stay safe if we cannot TRY to predict a person's deeds on past repeated behavior?  Sure we need to forgive, but we also must serve consequences and part of those consequences are that we must remember to keep society and ourselves safe.

What has happened to common sense in our society?

The "boogieman" is alive and well.  They live next to us, we work with them, we go to church with them, and we pass them in the grocery store.  The "boogieman" will never do it again, promise, promise, promise.  The "boogieman" IS a liar.  The "boogieman" is always sorry.  The "boogieman" always has a sad/painful/dysfunctional/abusive childhood.  (Many people do have bad childhoods and yet they don't turn into the "boogieman.")

We all have our crosses to bear, we can bear them by forgiving and choosing light and goodness or we can choose to turn them outward onto others and choose darkness and evil.

The "boogieman" turns pain, discomfort and guilt on others.  He chooses evil.  He chooses himself and he doesn't care about you or anyone else.  He is the "boogieman" and he takes advantage of forgiveness, goodness and kind people.


In 1 Nephi the Book of Mormon it tells us:   13 Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous pruposes.  It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief. (Nephi 4:13).  I believe this scripture also forewarns us that it is better that one man should perish (or be punished/ killed) than a whole nation dwindle (because of another persons evil).

Many nights I worried and wondered how Joe's last moments were spent.  Did he see the truck coming?  Did he worry about me and the children?  Did his last breath hurt?  Did he feel the impact of the two vehicles?  Did he feel his bones break and parts  of his body sever?  Did he feel sad his life was over?  Did he block the crash with his arms?  Did he. . .?  Did he. . .?  Did he. . .?

I cannot imagine how the Cox & Powell  families are feeling or the questions they are asking. 

However, I know how hopeless death can feel.  I know how hopeless the legal system can feel.  I know how hopeless grief will grip your life.  I know how unfair and unjust it can all feel to survive.

AND, I feel terrible for those two sweet little boys, Braden and Charlie.

A movement on Facebook is encouraging everyone to wear blue Saturday in honor of the boys.

There is not much I can do, but I can wear blue.  So today I dressed in my black skirt, black blouse, black hose and black shoes with my light blue jacket to honor those two sweet boys who lives were killed by the "boogieman."

Rest in peace with your mommy, little boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment