Monday, January 16, 2012

2004 Dodge Ram 3500

Three weeks before Joe was killed he bought a brand new 2004 Dodge 3500 Ram. While test driving it he offered me a chance to drive it.

I replied, no, it was his truck and I would not be driving it, so the decision to purchase it was all up to him.

Our first trip back up to Salt Lake while we were coming north down the summit, just a couple of miles from where he was killed, and he was telling me all sorts of fascinating stuff about his new truck. He showed me the cool gadgets, told me how to drive it, and how to put it in four wheel drive.

I barely listened. Okay, I didn't pay attention at all.  When your married you just learn to nod and pretend to pay attention.

Big regret, because some of that stuff would have been helpful to know now, like how tall the truck is. He told me.  (Funny, that info would have been nice to remember the first time I drove down an underground parking lot.  It was to visit an attorney regarding his death, and I figured if the truck was too tall the insurance would fix the damages, and I could always let the air out of the tires to lower the height on the way out!!!  That day, the strangers following behind me told me the they watched and held their breath as I drove over the speed bumps, apparently I only had inches to spare!)

As Joe gushed on and on about his new love, the truck, I smartly asked if he wanted to be buried in it? He said no, that would be a waste of a good truck.

Sadly, I have put more miles on the truck than he did.  I have had the truck 7 years, he had it 3 weeks. But most importantly, when I climb in it I feel like he is hugging me.  It's him all around me.  It's  a part of who he was; a part of his hopes and dreams of where that truck would take him.

2 comments:

  1. omgosh, We just bought a new truck (well a year ago) Mr. Clark calls it MY TRUCK! We knew that things were close to disability so we purchased it with d/insurance. We are so, so fortunate to keep working. But, It is one of those things that if something happens to him, I would be like you. It would give me a big hug everytime I climbed into it. Well, my dear friend I am so sorry for your grief, prayers continue your way. I can only say I through you I am learning so much about holding on to each moment. Thankyou for sharing although my heart breaks for you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sharon your comments are always sweet. Yep, the truck is a big bear hug from him, it is as close as I can get!

    ReplyDelete