Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Church is Scaffolding for our Lives

"I believe that more than anything else this is because the Church is the scaffolding for both our families and professional lives. … I know scaffolding allows me to reach heights I could not reach otherwise, and do things I could not otherwise reach. ... If we stay firmly centered on the scaffolding of the Church we remain safe and protected. ..."


(Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve, The Church is Scaffolding for our Lives, LDS Church News, Friday, 27 January 2012.)

As I read this article, I thought about how the "scaffolding allows me to reach heights I could not reach otherwise, and do things I could not otherwise reach." Four major events in my life came to my mind as I read this article; two events I selected and two events selected me. The two I selected are marriage and motherhood. These two life events have formed and shaped my life. They taught me things I needed to learn and gave me blessings beyond wonderful. However, I found both of these life events were easier, more rewarding, and I was better at them, with the Lord by my side.


The other two life-changing events that selected me were Relief Society President and widow. I chose neither of these two events, however they have allowed me to "reach heights I could not reach otherwise and do things I could not otherwise" do. The scaffolding of the Gospel has given me the tools I have needed to get through these two life changing experiences that found me on my knees several times a day. I am able to do things I never thought possible and these positive changes have become a permanent part of a better me. I cannot imagine doing either without the Lord; luckily you don’t have to serve as an auxiliary president without the Lord, however widowhood, calls weather you are have the Lord in your life or not!


Because widowhood can be such a dark, dreary, and scary road to travel down alone, I cling to that promise that Elder Perry gave, “If we stay firmly centered on the scaffolding of the Church we remain safe and protected. ...”.

Have a happy peaceful Sunday peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment